Saturday 9 July 2011

A review of Allpress Espresso

Image via pinchofsaltlondon
58 Redchurch Street, Shoreditch, London, E2 7DP

Given a rare afternoon alone in East London whilst my other half was off gallivanting around Broadway Market with a pal (they ate pies and sampled beers at the Dove), I shimmied myself over to Columbia Road to have a mooch around the shops in peace and quiet. Although I love the flower market on Sundays, it’s so chaotic I always find it impossible to navigate the shops and get hold of anything I actually need. On a Saturday, however, it was refreshingly quiet and I managed to track down the baking beads I was after at Keeping House – supplier of all necessary baking regalia. 

Errand over, I found myself a little peckish so wandered over Brick Lane way and whilst mooching down the lanes at the northern end, happened across Allpress Espresso Roastery cafe. Originally an espresso company from New Zealand, Allpress emigrated to Shoreditch in 2010 and set up a roastery and cafe which ‘keeps [them] in touch with the retail cafĂ© scene and coffee drinkers.’

Serving their specialty coffees as well as loose leaf tea, they also have a range of breakfast goodies and sandwiches on offer. The table next to me had soft boiled eggs which looked amazing, whilst I went for the chicken, chill and pine nut sandwich. Generously filled, with the slightly bizarre addition of sultanas, it was a ‘two hands’ job and I must admit I struggled to eat it in a lady-like fashion whilst also glued to my book.

Image via pinchofsaltlondon
The crowd was mostly trendy Shoreditch types, although a few families had also settled in for a late lunch. The big tables are perfect for spreading out the Saturday supplements or keeping the kids occupied with some colouring in and although it was busy there was plenty of space for me to sidle into a window seat and munch away quietly undisturbed.

As well as hot drinks and savoury fare, there were a fair few sweet treats adorning the counter by the till. The scones with fresh cream and raspberries drew my eye and I thought it was a nice nod from the kiwis to see our English traditions being taken on board.

Find out more about Allpress Espresso here.

No comments:

Post a Comment